Friday, May 21, 2010

Gorilla Suit

A few years ago, I read Gorilla Suit, a powerful book by Fmr. Mr. Universe Bob Paris, that really inspired me. Bob is a guy that overcame great adversity in his quest to becoming one of the best competitors of the 1980's. Bob, like 1982 Mr. Olympia Chris Dickerson, made headlines when he came out as being gay, but to the hardcore bodybuilding nuts this isn't why Paris is such a big name in our sport. Credited as having the physique that current Mr. Olympia Jay Cutler aspired to achieve upon weight-training, Paris redefined a sport that was on the verge of losing sight of its most notable features: sound dieting and aesthetics. He discusses how miserable he was taking gear and how he wanted show off the natural gains he'd made, from his flowing lines, impressive vascularity, and overall balance. He spoke of his gratitude to all the people that helped him along the years from when he left home all the way to fame.

However, the very title of his book speaks volumes about why many of us take to the weights in the first place. My road to the gym began in 2005 when my girlfriend dumped me and started dating a kid whose campaign I had run in student politics - while I worked my ass off to get him votes, they were socializing behind the scenes. It was really rough there for several months, I was crying all the time, drinking, smoking, and really just losing it. My journey started with walking, then running, then finally I bought a membership at Gainesville Gym (one of the last dungeon-like bodybuilding gyms in Florida) and that was it. Within a few weeks I was in shape, within a few months I kicked a 12yr cigarette addiction, within a few years I was 10x more self-confident, and right now -- I seriously don't give a fuck if I get dumped, do the dumping, if I'm loved or rejected - I don't care 'how hot a girl is', if I like her, I'm talking to her. If I want something, I'm going to try and get it.

Muscle, as Bob Paris' work spells out, is like a suit of armor that an athelete wears through the battle we call life. My armor has a good amount of fat on it, lol, but hopefully you catch my drift. If not, you're probably not all there anyways. JK